Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Learning to Screencast

Today we're learning to Screencast, which I hadn't heard of before. But now that I'm learning it, I'm pretty sure that the MyDamnChannel video "You Suck at Photoshop" is just a screencast. Interesting. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off uploading this to the screen, or link to it from Archive. I'm going with the former, looks like it's working. You'll see my first practice typing - it didn't take, and I couldn't figure out how to stop. The second one I had the mic set up, but had the wrong 1/8" in the wrong input. Third take worked out. Dig how tired my voice is - this is your voice on teaching. I should sort out that mic level / breathing thing, eh? Enjoy. (note: before you press "Play" see below the video)




Ok, so that didn't work. I got this to upload, but when you hit play it buffers for ever, and ever, and then forever. Try it if you don't believe me. If you click here it should embed there's a link to Archive.org where the screencast is saved. It's only up for 30 days (it's a test), and after that, well, you're out of luck.

Still reading? Nice. You're so hooked. Well, for the last 30 minutes I was messing with the screencast. First one I saved as an .avi, which I've learned in massive. How massive? 63 megs. Yeah, pretty much feels like dial up on a rotary phone. Then I learned to convert to .swf (shockwave format, not single white female), which made it 3MB. Much better. Posted it above (where it says "click here") incorrectly about three times before finally sorting it out. I think I got it now.

No comments: